Active carbon -
Contaminants removed by activated carbon
Drinking water could contain dozens of contaminants, subdivided under the following main categories: Microorganisms, Disinfectants, Disinfection by-products, Inorganic chemicals, Organic chemicals, Radionuclides. Municipal water supply systems are regulated by law to control certain contaminants to make house water drinkable and safe. This is a growing concern, where tap water cannot always be guaranteed to be clean.
The following in particular are typical and notorious substances that could occur in drinking water, and which may be harmful if present in quantities above certain levels. These can be effectively removed by appropriate active carbon purification systems:
- Odours and bad taste (caused by various chemicals in the water)
- Pesticides, organic compounds such as benzene and carbon tetrachloride (leaking from agri-culture and industry into rivers and groundwater)
- Bacterial or colloidal iron or tannins (when combined with chlorination)
- Radon, lead, copper, certain heavy metals (leaking from industry into rivers and groundwater)
- Chlorine, chloramides (additives to municipal water to control microbes)
- Trihalomethanes (disinfection by-products from chlorination of municipal water to control microbes)
- Cryptosporidium and giardia ( caused by human or animal wastes)
Activated carbon is well-known for effective removal of a long list of unwanted substances from tap water. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has a comprehensive list at the following address: http://iaspub.epa.gov/tdb/pages/treatment/treatmentContaminant.do
Analyses of water samples from Diamond Dew purifiers were done by an independent water analysis laboratory. Click here to read the report.
Active carbon covers a particular range of applications in the water purification technology spectrum. Other techniques include e.g. various mechanical filtration media (very fine 'sieves'), and reverse osmosis. Read more ...
- Kitchen You want clean water in the kitchen for drinking and cooking
- Whole-house You want clean water at every tap in the house
- Commercial You want clean water at the workplace, in your gym, restaurant, or school/college
- Ultra-violet sterilization You want complete protection against microorganisms
- Water-softening You have a hard water problem
- Specialised filteringYou need a special-to-purpose filter system